Gowlings is a leading Canadian law firm offering a diverse range of services within IP, business and advocacy law to help organizations achieve their business objectives. Gowlings has over 750 professionals across offices in Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Waterloo Region, Calgary, Vancouver, Beijing, London, U.K., and Moscow.
The incumbent performs full legal administrative work of a responsible and confidential nature for one or more professionals.
The incumbent's responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- To organize and expedite the flow of work through the professional’s office, initiating follow-up action.
- To prepare legal documents with little or no direction according to general precedents or instructions from the professional.
- To transcribe and type deeds, affidavits, wills, briefs and other legal documents.
- To prepare petitions, subpoenas, applications, contracts, deeds, mortgages and other legal documents according to general instructions and/or precedents.
- To liaise between the professional and various internal and external individuals, groups and clients at all levels.
- To route or answer routine correspondence not requiring the professional’s attention, and to initiate follow-up action as required.
- To take and transcribe dictation of a highly technical and/or confidential nature.
- To ensure that the appropriate "bring forward" or diary system/database is updated with regard to important dates and deadlines.
- To prepare special reports, including gathering and summarizing data.
- To exercise initiative and judgment in order to relieve the professional of administrative tasks.
- To draft certain letters independently in response to requests from clients for review by professional.
- To familiarize oneself with client files in order for better file management and client service.
- To handle administrative detail with respect to accounting, opening and closing files, docketing, billing, etc.
- May be assigned to replace legal administrative assistants who are absent to ensure the continued workflow for the professionals.
- To prepare follow up information for the legal assistant to ensure the continuation of workflow upon the legal assistant’s return to work.
- To assist in the Word Processing/Secretarial Unit when not assigned.
- Administrative assistant or legal administrative assistant diploma or equivalent experience.
- Eight years experience as an administrative assistant. Experience as a legal administrative assistant would be an asset.
- Bilingualism (French/English) is required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Good keyboard and dicta-typing skills are required.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Competence in grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to deal in a professional manner with clients.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume via email to the co-ordinates indicated below.
Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP
Barristers & Solicitors
3700-1 Place Ville Marie
Application Deadline: Open until suitable candidate is found.