Gowlings is a leading Canadian law firm offering a diverse range of services within intellectual property law, business law and advocacy to help organizations achieve their business objectives. Gowlings has over 700 professionals across offices in Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Waterloo Region, Calgary, Vancouver, Beijing, Moscow and London, U.K.
The successful candidate will work in our advocacy department. This position requires 5+ years experience in the areas of commercial litigation with an emphasis on fire, oilfield, directors and officers, professional liability, environmental, product liability, property and industrial claims, coverage litigation, construction, commercial and shareholder disputes.
The incumbent's responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- Organize and expedite the flow of work through the professional’s practice, initiating any follow-up action as appropriate
- Accurately prepare legal documents and correspondence with little or no direction
- Transcribe and type legal documents and correspondence
- Coordinate flow of documents between legal professionals, various internal and external individuals and clients at all levels
- Work proactively in the day to day support of the professional’s practice
- Use initiative and good judgement to relieve the professional of administrative detail
- Generate documents based on digital dictation
- Arrange meetings for the professional including discoveries, judicial dispute resolutions etc.
- Keep files up to date on a consistent basis
- 5+ years advocacy experience
- Strong knowledge of Alberta laws
- Legal Assistant Diploma from a recognized post secondary institution
- Ability to handle a heavy workload
- Superior organizational skills are a must
- Advanced computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent customer service skills, including the ability to deal with clients in a professional manner
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Problem solving skills including the ability to set priorities while dealing with conflicting stressful situations
- Interpersonal skills required to work effectively with other staff and professionals
- Digital dictation experience
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter quoting the File No: 2014-10-20-PS via e-mail to the co-ordinates indicated below
Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP
Barristers & Solicitors
1600, 421 7th Avenue SW
Application Deadline: Open until suitable candidate is found.