Gowlings is a leading Canadian law firm offering a diverse range of services within intellectual property law, business law and advocacy to help organizations achieve their business objectives. Gowlings has over 700 professionals across offices in Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Waterloo Region, Calgary, Vancouver, Beijing, Moscow and London, U.K.
The successful candidate will work with our law clerks in the Advocacy Department for a one year contract period and be responsible for the preparation of all necessary legal documentation related to litigation law, including managing a heavy file load. This position receives some direction or guidance, although most tasks and objectives are accomplished independently.
The incumbent's responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- Receives directions from law clerks and professionals on the status of the file, the steps required for the conduct of the file, with instructions to meet critical deadlines.
- Drafts a variety of documentation, precedents and/or directions, including Affidavit of Records, pleadings in all levels of Court, forms, and correspondence to meet the needs of the various steps required throughout the conduct of the file, in accordance with legislation and/or governing regulations.
- Maintenance of Plaintiff personal injury files, including monitoring, organization, updating of material and contact with the clients and opposing counsel.
- Responsible for binder updates, loading of material into Summation, disc creation, page numbering, scanning, coding, Summation print jobs.
- Assists the professional to ensure that each action on the file conforms to the requirements of the Courts and/or Governing Tribunals or other Government Department.
- Systematically organizes, tracks and maintains document files and case correspondence, using, where appropriate, computer databases and imaging software.
- Initiates follow up actions where and when necessary.
- Assists the professional in preparation for formal stages of the process, such as Examinations for Discovery; JDR; Court Proceedings, etc.
- Liaises with client to obtain and, when directed by the professional, provide information.
- Communicates directly with service providers and judicial/tribunal officials in connection with the client’s file.
- 5+ years as a Law Clerk/Paralegal
- Law Clerk/Paralegal or Legal Assistant Diploma/Certificate
- In-depth knowledge of legal terminology and principles, and Alberta Rules of Court
- Ability to communicate effectively with other Firm members, with the aptitude to take care of clients’ needs in a professional and courteous manner
- Capacity to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- The ability to analyze legal documents for accuracy
- Produce a high quality and quantity of work product, occasionally under tight timelines
- Able to prioritize and to redefine priorities when necessary
- Handle stress in a business-like manner
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter quoting the File No: 2014-06-18/ADV via e-mail to the co-ordinates indicated below
Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP
Barristers & Solicitors
1600, 421 7th Avenue SW
Application Deadline: Open until suitable candidate is found.