Gowlings is a leading Canadian and international law firm, with over 700 legal professionals serving clients in 10 offices across Canada and around the world. From business law and high-stakes litigation to intellectual property matters, we provide a full range of legal services to meet our clients' unique needs and rise to any challenge that comes their way.
We pride ourselves on delivering both exceptional legal counsel and personal, responsive service — and providing our people with a great place to work.
The successful candidate will work with two professionals in our advocacy department. This position requires 5+ years of experience, specifically in the area of litigation, with an emphasis on medical defence and insurance and professional liability.
The incumbent's responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- Organize and expedite the flow of work through the professionals' practice, initiating any follow-up action as appropriate
- Accurately prepare legal documents and correspondence with little or no direction
- Transcribe and type legal documents and correspondence
- Co-ordinate flow of documents between legal professionals, various internal and external individuals, and clients at all levels
- Work proactively in the day-to-day support of the professionals' practices
- Use initiative and good judgment to relieve the professionals of administrative detail
- Generate documents based on digital dictation
- Arrange meetings for the professionals
- Keep files up-to-date on a consistent basis
- 5+ years of experience, specifically in the areas of medical defence, insurance and professional liability
- CMPA experience would be an asset
- Strong knowledge of Alberta civil litigation procedure
- Legal assistant diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Ability to handle a heavy workload
- Superior organizational skills are a must
- Advanced computer skills, with knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent customer service skills, including the ability to deal with clients in a professional manner
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Problem-solving skills, including the ability to set priorities while dealing with conflicting stressful situations
- Interpersonal skills required to work effectively with other staff and professionals
- Digital dictation experience
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter quoting the File No: 2015-09-14-KS/JL via e-mail to the co-ordinates indicated below
Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP
1600, 421 7th Avenue SW
Application Deadline: Open until suitable candidate is found.