Leading players in the financial industry need legal support that provides exceptional experience, proven insight, and a firm grasp of the rapidly evolving market. Working with more than 50 domestic and foreign banks and insurers, Gowlings professionals are the preferred counsel on a wide variety of transactions ranging in size from $1 million to $34 billion.
We tailor our services to the unique needs of our clients, staying current with trends and legislative developments in the wide variety of industries they serve. Working in client-dedicated teams, our professionals share multi-jurisdictional insights that help us focus on solutions that provide fresh approaches to meet the demands of a rapidly changing financial market.
Our broad range of expertise is balanced by highly specific and innovative service offerings. Our portfolio management programs, for example, reduce client risk by assuming full responsibility for all aspects of various types of claims, including insurance claims and defaulted mortgages and loans. We have in-depth experience with a variety of non-traditional lenders such as mezz, ABL, sub-debt and DIP, and provide insightful Financial Regulatory Law services to help our clients achieve transaction approvals and ensure compliance with all levels of Canadian regulatory requirements.
Our team leverages national reach and a diverse network to provide practical insight into the Canadian marketplace. We frequently work with U.S. and international companies with operations in Canada to maximize opportunities and reduce risk.
With an in-depth understanding of the financial services competitive landscape, regulatory and legislative environments, and hands-on national and international experience, we offer a comprehensive range of services that includes:
- Asset-based lending
- Bond financing/public debt
- Consumer finance and cards
- Commercial insurance law
- Corporate and debt restructurings
- Cross-border and domestic transactions
- Demand and enforcement proceedings
- Distressed M&A
- Employment and labour
- Insolvency and restructurings
- Insolvency litigation proceedings
- Project finance
- Real estate lending
- Receiverships, bankruptcy and related enforcement proceedings
- Renegotiating loans and security agreements
- Senior secured and unsecured lending
- Shariah compliant financing
- Sub-debt, mezzanine and second lien lending
- Syndicated, club and joint venture transactions
- Tax law
- Trade finance